Monday, October 25, 2010

...mundane.

Yesterday I started reading the last fifty pages of Michel Foucault's The History of Sexuality at approximately 3:00 pm and finished at approximately 10:00 pm. Granted, I watched 1.5 movies in that time frame as well (using a short segment of a movie as a study break every half hour or so...yeah, that probably means I have serious difficulties focusing), but the fact remains that it took me about five hours to read fifty pages. Also noteworthy is the fact that I read each page twice - I would read a chapter and then read it again to take notes. It was probably the longest day on record though. Time seemed to crawl by. And then, when I finished Foucault, I still had two articles to read. So homework was crazy yesterday.

Fast-forward to today...I got my homework done in an hour and a half and spent the late morning/early afternoon doing laundry/cleaning the apartment. It's crazy how quickly things can change from hectic and busy to me trying to find something to do with my time. Of course, that will all change again at 7:00 pm tonight when I leave my historical theory class with yet another ridiculous book to read.

The more I read of these theorists, the more I shake my head. I'm not at all convinced by their big words and empty frameworks. In fact, it's absolutely ridiculous the mental gymnastics they put themselves through in a desperate attempt to describe a history devoid of any metaphysical presence. I mean, I like words. I even like using big words. But these people are ridiculous, and I hate to say that I am quickly losing respect for history as a discipline. If it's all meaningless, why try anyway? If there's no way to know the origin of history, then where is the meaning in life? I refuse to see life that way, and I refuse to buy the lie that there is no truth.

I'm memorizing Romans, and right now I'm working on the second half of the first chapter. This morning when I was walking to the bus stop I couldn't help but relate what I have been memorizing to historian philosophers like Michel Foucault. Romans 1:16-22 - "For I am not ashamed of the gospel, for it is the power of God for salvation to everyone who believes, to the Jew first and also to the Greek. For in it the righteousness of God is revealed from faith to faith; as it is written, 'But the righteous man shall live by faith.' For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men who suppress the truth in unrighteousness. Because that which is known about God is evident within them; for God made it evident to them. For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes, His eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly seen, being understood through what has been made, so that they are without excuse. For even though they knew God, they did not honor Him as God or give thanks, but they became futile in their speculations, and their foolish heart was darkened. Professing to be wise, they became fools..." There might be more, but I haven't memorized that far yet. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment