Tuesday, September 21, 2010

a new world: fragments

It's a new world here. Little about my undergraduate experience could have prepared me for this.

I went through new grad student orientation and then new TA training today. I was struck immediately by the fact that little compares to my Northwestern experience save perhaps the fact that I am studying history at each place. It's overwhelming, but in a good way.

People are very charismatic here. There is little social awkwardness, and by the end of the pizza party at Whatcom Falls Park this evening I feel like I have found a new group of friends. People are not afraid to come up and introduce themselves, and there is a camaraderie that I was not expecting to find.

All of the TAs have a huge office that we share - I get my own desk, which is very exciting! I will be able to study there and hang out there for much of the day, and I'm hoping to get most if not all of my homework done on campus.

The people here come from all over the country. I met a girl from New Mexico, a guy from Chicago, another guy from Texas, another girl from here in Bellingham, a guy from Idaho...the list goes on. People have all sorts of different stories, but we all share one thing in common - we love history.

I still don't know what I'll be doing exactly - I guess I am supposed to just show up at class tomorrow & meet the professor then. I feel like I'm jumping blindly off a cliff... I don't have a clue what's going on.

I'm also completely aware of how hard it will be to be a committed Christian in this world. But this is what I came here for - to bring God to a place from which He has been removed.

No comments:

Post a Comment