Monday, September 20, 2010

aspirations of the internet-less grad student

I am definitely discovering the beauty of life without wireless at home. My first few days here I didn't know if I'd be able to survive without that connection to the outside world, but I have discovered an incredible peace that comes with coming home at night and knowing that I have the entire evening to just relax, to read, to listen to music, to clean, to cook, whatever. No internet to distract me, and if I want to talk to someone, there's always the phone. But with the time difference between here and back home, by 8:00 or so, that's not really an option anymore either. So I get to just relax. It's nice.

I started re-reading Bread and Wine last night. It's a 1930s novel that I was assigned in my Modern Europe class in college. At the time, we were reading it looking for religious overtones, since the class was about faith and doubt in modern civilization. It's nice to read it again, without that focus in mind. It is such a good book, and I missed that entirely when I was combing it looking for references to doubt.

I've also been playing ridiculous amounts of Super Nintendo. It's crazy how fun it can be to take nintendo to the perfectionist level and try to find all the secret levels or capture ALL the coins on a given level. Haha...

So, the library here is TWO buildings. Confusing anyone? Yes. But I guess that's a good sign - it means it's big. And I like big. :) Book checkout is three months for grad students... life score! And, they have a DVD section, so I can check out movies to watch...another way to occupy my internet-free existence. :)

Life is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment