Friday, September 24, 2010

Campus Christian Fellowship

Tonight I decided to check out the first meeting of CCF. I had no idea what they were and what they do except that it is a Christian organization on campus that meets on Friday evenings. I was picturing 20 or 25 folding chairs circled up in a dimly lit empty room where a few brave souls come out of the woodwork and meet weekly to talk about God.

WRONG.

I showed up, and quickly realized this is a big deal. It was in a huge lecture hall, and the place was PACKED. This room is the biggest lecture hall on campus, and they've outgrown it, so they are using another smaller lecture hall downstairs as well. Two rooms packed full of Christians eager to worship.

I walked in, feeling like I had come home. People were insanely welcoming, and I met so many friendly, beautifully vibrant people. I realized immediately the difference between this place and the Christian college I attended for my undergrad - these people are serious. They come to this place out of a need to meet with like-minded people. They come to worship, and they come in refuel in their quest to bring Christ to the lost on campus. There weren't debates on obscure matters of theology, there weren't a bunch of cliques coming together to pretend to have community. These people love each other, and they are committed to bringing Christ to the lost.

THIS has been my heart cry every since getting here. THIS is what I came here for. I desire to live out my faith in a radical, real way. I desire to step away from questioning and an inward faith unaccompanied by works. I desire to bring Christ to my unsaved colleagues in the history department. I desire to be used by God in an act of worship to Him.

I'm not sure if I was even supposed to be there as a graduate student, or if other graduate students go. I didn't meet any. It doesn't even matter though, because tonight I was reminded in a powerful way of my calling as a believer in Jesus Christ.

To go.

No comments:

Post a Comment