Sunday, March 21, 2010

a good weekend

This was a good weekend.

I worked 'til three on Friday, and then headed to college for the weekend (ish). First, I stopped in at the library to pay Prof. Anderson a visit. Then, after a quick trip to the grocery store for some food and Alco for some gift wrap, I headed to the apartment. We ended up going out for chinese for supper. Then we went to an art show and then the choir concert. It was really weird being at the choir concert and knowing the majority of the songs by heart but not being up there singing. I did go up for Beautiful Savior with all the alumni, but that was also super weird. I found myself not knowing the harmony anymore - even though it's only been a few months. After the concert it was back to the apartment where a movie was watched (I did other things instead, but nothing big).

Saturday I woke up pretty early and headed to Natalie's wedding with Lisa. I drove. It was about a three hour drive so we gave ourselves four hours. About an hour into it, just outside of a tiny town called Dickens, my tire went flat. I started calling AAA but a very nice man happened along and changed the tire for me. So, we made it to the wedding with about a half hour to spare. Woot.

The wedding was beautiful. We managed to find our way to the reception, even though we didn't exactly follow the directions on the invitation. We ate lots of food (we were like the first to go back for seconds, even though we definitely weren't the first to eat). I saw a few people I worked with at camp back in the day, but no one that I was exactly friends with. So that was weird.

The drive home was also fun. It was longer than it should have been, since I was driving about 45, trying not to destroy my donut of a tire. But it was good, because that gave Lisa and I lots of time to have quality conversation.

We made it back to campus around 9. Tara came over - we ended up going to Casey's for Naked juice. We also got cheap candy. I ate it and got a stomach ache. I got ridiculously tired to the point where I might as well have been drunk. We hung out without watching a movie for like a few hours at least - it was impressive! (I am not a fan of movies as a social activity, but I'll probably talk about that more a little later)

This morning I randomly woke up at like 9:10 thinking it was the afternoon already. So I got up and was very excited to see that it was only 9. I watched an episode of Lost and then headed to church! Church was sooo good this morning. There was a guest speaker who was really good. The music was good - I've just missed that church, and I didn't even really realize I did.

After church I went with friends to the caf and sat there getting ridiculously hungry while they ate. Then I went back to the apartment and made ridiculous amounts of spaghetti. It was delicious. Probably even more so since I was so hungry. I hung out for a few more hours, and then it was time to head back home. Adventure complete.

I even made it home on my donut tire. I drove a ton of miles on that thing! Yay!

Things I learned this weekend:
1) I need to learn how to change a tire.
2) I always used to think I didn't like watching movies in social settings because it detracted from conversation. Now I've come to the conclusion that I'm just not a movie person (at least in group settings) and selfishly wish that others didn't like movies so much.
3) I am not a farmer. I grew up on a farm, and I'm an introvert, but I am not a farmer. I'm also not a feeler. I'm a thinker.
4) Not only should wedding gifts be bought several weeks at least in advance, one should also make sure to wrap them ahead of time. Scrambling to find some way to wrap a gift the morning of a wedding is a sure way to make a fool of yourself.
5) Being away from college for a few months has made me forget what it's like to be a college student. College drama (concerning boys) overwhelms, confuses, and somewhat annoys me.
6) This is going to sound weird, but this weekend I started to more fully explore the idea that I may never get married. Always before this would have been a "woe is me" type thing, but this time it's different. Instead of feeling depressed about my single status as a result of the wedding, I actually became very ok with it. Not because the bride and groom didn't look absolutely perfect together. But because I'm starting to realize more and more each day that, although I wouldn't mind getting married, it's not something that I need anymore. I'd be ok with being single my whole life, and, to tell the truth, I might even be better suited to singleness than to marriage. But this neutrality in regard to this aspect of my future does not mean that I'm opposed to getting married, I'm just also not opposed to remaining single. It's a good place to be. I want to fully give this aspect of my life to God, and not hold onto it as a way to be bitter when I feel like it. I want to truly be okay with whatever life God calls me to.

This weekend was so good. I had so much time to think, so much time to have quality conversations with amazing friends, and a lot of laughter. I plan to spend as much time as possible at college in the next 7-8 weeks, because in under two months it'll all be over.

No comments:

Post a Comment