Monday, February 8, 2010

start of something new

So I'm a college graduate living at home and working 15-20 hours a week at a local restaurant. Needless to say I have an ample amount of free time on my hands.

To fill the void that used to be filled with homework and social obligations, I have taken up a variety of activities of varying usefulness. I'll list them, just because I know how much you care.

-I am reading a book entitled "Hitler's Willing Executioners." I'm about 30-40 pages in, and I've been working on this book since the week I graduated...which was almost two months ago now. FAIL. I'm almost done with chapter 1, though!
-I am currently starting in on the Circle Trilogy by Ted Dekker. I read this trilogy in high school and loved it, so now I'm rereading it. I'm enjoying it so far. Ted Dekker used to be so good before his books became routine and predictable.
-I'm slowly making progress on learning German. Right now I'm basically just adding vocabulary and basic phrases...hopefully I can get to some hardcore grammar soon. :)
-I finished a thousand piece puzzle that I bought for 70 cents at Goodwill last week. It is pretty awesome, especially because I worked on a table that was not even large enough to fit the perimeter of the puzzle on it - I had to add manila file folder extensions to one end.
-I have returned to my old high school habits of watching as many reality television series as possible. By the end of this week, I will be watching four different shows all at once. FOUR! That's pathetic.
-I think the biggest change in my life is the fact that I'm actually getting in shape for the first time since high school. I started running at the end of December and am up to 3 miles now. I'm currently working on shaving time off of the three miles, with the goal of being able to run 3 miles in under 30 minutes by the end of the month. That won't be too difficult...I'm already at 32:12 and that's not an issue at all - I even walk part of it. But I feel so good about myself! :) I've also started doing ab workouts. I can safely say there won't be any heavy lifting for me any time soon - I HATE lifting weights. But, I will feel good if I can say that my core and my heart are strong!
-I'm waiting to hear from grad schools. I got rejected by one yesterday...I'm just praying the next letter is good news. I'm terrified of what would happen if grad school doesn't work out. I really really really don't want to teach high school but I honestly don't know what else would be out there that I would at least halfway enjoy.
-I often sit in my room and watch mediocre movies from the library. Ok, that's unfair. The majority have actually been slightly above mediocre. But the last few have been horrible. So, mediocre is a good average.

The reason for this blog is that three-fold. 1) I really love reading blogs of others who just post about what they or their families are doing. Good stuff... I thought I'd return the favor. 2) If you haven't gathered, I have little else to do with my time. 3) I think it might be fun.

Let's see... what did I do today? (I just realized how strange this really is...devoting a blog to my very mundane life. But I'm going to do it anyway.)

Today is...Monday. Yes, Monday. (I had to remind myself of that...the last two days off from work have flown by and it still feels like Sunday to me). I finally rolled out of bed around 10:30 this morning...I had been quite wide awake several times before that but always just went back to sleep - it's not as if I have anything better to do than sleep away my life anyway, right? :P I worked on the puzzle for a while, went downstairs, watched some pointless tv...Speaking of which, I watched half an episode of Wife Swap...ridiculous! They swapped this wife who lived in a log cabin w/ no electricity with this rich New Jersey woman who was a plastic... it was SO RIDICULOUS. The plastic lady was the most artificial jerk of a person I've ever seen. Pure venom came out of her mouth. Anyway... Ate lunch with the parents, worked some more on my puzzle, went to town (the library and bank), came home, finished my puzzle, (yay!!!) played Upwords (a creepy boring version of Scrabble) with my dad, watched some more stupid people on Judge Judy, read some, ate supper, watched the Bachelor (yes, I'm lame.) and then ran 3 miles! Now I'm doing this. My day was so delighful. I could do this all the time. (Ok, that's a slight exageration - a few days of working here and there aren't so bad)

I work tomorrow. I'm ok with that. My job is decently amusing. Not boring at least, and not overly stressful, and it's not the type of job that I necessarily need to bring home with me. I'll tell you all about it tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment