Tuesday, February 9, 2010

answer to prayer

Sometimes little, relatively unimportant things happen that remind me just how much God cares about me, and how He is in control.

I was woken up about 8:15 this morning by my Dad calling to say that I should call the daycare because they wanted me to work Thursday and Friday. My first reaction was...there's no way this is going to work out... So, after calling the daycare and explaining that I didn't know my work schedule at the restaurant yet and then attempting (and failing) to fall back asleep, I got up. I called the restaurant to see if they had the schedule up - they did, and I for some freak miracle didn't work Thursday or Friday. AND, I have Sunday/Monday off as well, which means I can go to Orange City on Saturday night and stay till Monday! Life is good. It's funny because last night I told my mom I had two prayer requests - to be able to go to Orange City this weekend and to get into grad school. :)

Work was a lot of fun today. I made $42 in tips - averaging around 16% of total sales. Not too bad. It was pretty uneventful - no huge groups (in fact I think my biggest group today was three people), no jerks, no big tips, no complete flops. It was a relatively slow day, so I spent a lot of time "cleaning."

Every day these old men come in around 3:00 for coffee. One of them is Glen - it was his birthday today. Glen actually came to the restaurant twice today - once around noon with his wife, and once for coffee with "the gang." It is HILARIOUS to listen to these guys talk - it's all about the old days, or the weather, or their failing memory, or why K-mart failed while Wal-Mart succeeded. Glen is hilarious - he doesn't exactly have an accent, but he has a strange way of talking, sort of a drawl, but not really...and it's funny. I dunno - their lives are just so simple - they come in for coffee every day - sit there and pass the time drinking coffee and just talking about pointless things. I'm a bit envious. They have so much life already lived - so many memories...so much wisdom. So much perspective.

I started watching the tv series "Lost" today. Season 1, episode 1. I'm in for a loooong process - there are over 5 seasons with about 25-30 episodes in each season.

2 comments: