Sunday, May 29, 2011

best year of my life

Every since freshman year of college, I have always said that freshman year was the best year of my life. So much was so great about that year. It was my first year on my own, I met (and roomed with) my best friend Rachel, I met so many wonderful and lasting friends, and we had so much fun together. Life was, on the whole, good in a way that would remain unmatched for the subsequent years of college. The rest of college was so good as well (in different ways), but in a less pure way. Sometime towards the beginning of my sophomore year of college, I think I truly became an adult. The innocence, naivety, and carefreeness of childhood was for the first time truly behind me. My social life grew more complicated, and I began questioning the beliefs I grew up with. My freshman year roommate Rachel had left college and moved home, and my best friend from high school had all but disappeared from my life. Things were no longer simple. Of course, the hell of my junior and senior years of college was still happily in the future, but in many ways I began to become convinced that things would never again be as good as they were freshman year.

I don't know that I could ever compare anything to my freshman year of college. I will forever label it as one of the best years of my life. I do think, however, that it has met its competition. If freshman year of college was the best year of my adolescence/childhood (assuming myself to still be thinking like a child in many ways), the past 9 months in Bellingham, WA have been the best nine months of my adulthood. I have never been so consistently happy as I have been here. God has truly blessed me...the place is beautiful, the people are beautiful, and I am able to pursue what I love. I smile every time I look around and think about the ridiculous blessing it is to live here for a few years. I believe that I will forever look back on these years in Bellingham as among the best of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment