Wednesday, May 18, 2011

place of employment ponderings

People at my new job keep asking me how I like it. When I reply that it's fun (what else am I supposed to say) they tell me that it'll get stressful soon. That many days I will not have time to get everything done and will be really stressed out.

I think to myself... if I ever care that much about the job, it may be time to quit.

Let's be honest here. I do like the job (at least on some level). It's somewhat satisfying folding clothes, putting clothes away, helping customers. I work as hard as I can, getting as much done as I can. But when I clock out, I clock out. I learned a few summers ago as a program coordinator at a state park that it doesn't pay to worry outside the job. And as a student I have learned that either it'll get done or it won't. Worrying about it or stressing out about it doesn't do any good. And so that's the attitude I bring into working retail. I plan to refuse to be stressed. If other people want to make this retail job their whole life and happyness, good for them. As for me, I'm happy to check it at the door.

No comments:

Post a Comment