Friday, April 1, 2011

job hunt update

I got a phone interview! Not for any of the before-mentioned jobs, but for another student painting job that I applied for yesterday. And, don't get too excited - this is just a preliminary phone interview and then they decide if they want to bring me in for a real interview.

I've had a cold for a few days - more of a nuisance than anything, but I was quite concerned about my voice holding out my interview tonight. I woke up this morning without a voice, feeling better except for the lack of effective vocal chords. Thankfully my voice returned within a few hours, and I should be able to talk for said phone interview this evening.

In general, I'm trying to relax about the whole summer job thing - I've realized how much harder it is to get a job in a strange town where people don't know me. I think sometimes in Beresford I was able to easily get a job because people knew me...at least knew of my reputation. Not that I was popular, but I had a reputation as a conscientious student, musician, and Christian (which came in handy in small-town SD). I had friends and contacts that made getting a job much easier than here, where people don't know me from Adam. I'm trusting that if God wants me to get a job, He'll provide, but it is nerve-wracking. On the other hand, if I don't find a job, it's not the end of the world. I have a thesis to write next year, and being able to devote all of my time to that over the summer would probably make it very simple to graduate next spring, thus saving me a ton of money on that end. I have more than enough in savings to get me through the summer, so I'm trying not to worry about it too much. What will be will be.

No comments:

Post a Comment