Tuesday, January 18, 2011

sin & charity

What is the point of life, if everything that we do is ultimately selfish? In light of the theoretical impossibility of doing anything purely for the betterment of someone else, what's the point of pursuing a life lived for others? I do not believe there is an answer in this line of thought. If the point of life is simply to do good, it's futile, and we may as well pursue a life lived purely for self. After all, in living to please oneself, 90% of the time we will end up pleasing others. [People-pleasers unite!]

As a Christian, this is deeply troubling. Is everything I try to do futile? On some level, it is. I fail to love as Christ loved us. I fail to live unselfishly, all the time. Everything I do is tainted by imperfection, selfishness, sin. Filthy rags. And yet, even the most selfish among us acknowledge one simple, powerful fact. A life of charity serves to better oneself. Perhaps one of the most selfish things that one can do is to serve.

Interesting, eh? Even in this society characterized by self, still exists the basic premise that life is on some level at least about others. Still, however, we live for ourselves first, and loving others only comes because we know that's the only way to attain happiness. It seems to be insurmountable. How do I recognize my love for others with my inherent selfishness?

It occurred to me is the fact that I do not live for others. I don't live for myself either. (At least in theory, that is). The only way to love is to love God. To submit to God. And then He loves through me. Through selfish, sinful me shines the divine love of the one who sent His Son to die for sinful, selfish humanity...a humanity to which God owed absolutely nothing.

Thank You, God. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment