Thursday, January 20, 2011

ambiguity

My life is constantly shifting, both in terms of my emotional health and in terms of the things and people who are important to me. Life is good right now. I am getting so much out of my classes - more in a new confidence than any actual information gained. I am getting more out of life socially than I previously dreamed possible. I am basically loving life in almost every way.

I've been thinking about modernity, namely, our exaltation of science. Science is the new ultimate truth...science reaches into almost every facet of our existence, offering answers to everything from why my pen falls when I let go of it to why I feel sad today. It's starting to annoy me a little that everything needs to fit a formula, because I am increasingly convinced that life is so much more than a formula, and even if it is a formula, it's a formula that humanity will never grasp. As I search my heart and motivations, I am continually reminded of the ways in which I am a walking contradiction. I believe separate things that directly disprove one another - scientifically speaking, at least.

Forget science. I'm embracing the humanities major in me, the poet, the romantic, the idealist, the ambiguity, the freedom of not knowing why, not knowing how, and not even knowing what.

No comments:

Post a Comment