Saturday, January 22, 2011

belief and action

I have been thinking a lot of late about how belief needs to be wedded to action. How following Christ is not just praying a prayer for forgiveness, but, rather, believing must be wedded to death to self, to jumping off the proverbial cliff of faith, to responsible action in a lost world. My faith must never be solely a list of beliefs, a doctrinal statement, or an inward emotion. I am called to wed my belief to action. To jump, knowing who will catch me.

And yet, this action must never become divorced from the reasons for it. God, who loved the world he had made enough to send His Son, His essence, His begotten, to earth to save us from ourselves. His Son, who forgave the ones whose sin and rebellion nailed Him in all of his perfection to the cross. Coming and dying to offer us love, life, meaning, purpose, joy, and all things good. Who gives us the chance to die with Him in order to be reborn into life eternal. That is who I serve, and that is the message I want the world to know. At all costs. For I am dead to myself, and so incredibly alive with Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment