Saturday, December 15, 2012

where i stand on being treated like a girl and gender stereoptypes and all that fun stuff

Rant to follow:

Something was said tonight.  Something that made me feel uncomfortable.  Something was said yesterday.  The day before.  Last week.  Six times last month.  It's the story of life.  People make assumptions about what it means to be a girl or what it means to be a guy.

So I'm just going to rant about a bunch of things.  I hold the following opinions loosely; I may very well be wrong on some of it.  But I'll document it nonetheless.

1.  As a girl, I am not the only one responsible for male lust.  Someone said something recently about girls going from wearing floor length skirts to shorter skirts as an example of declining morality in this country.  Part of me died inside.  Yes, I should be modest.  But so should guys.  When guys talk about how girls should dress modestly, it often just makes me feel really objectified.  And awkward, like I need to button my shirt to the neck and get out my veil.  Immediately.

2.  As a girl, I buck the trend by rarely wearing make up.  Mostly because I'm lazy.  But also just because I don't get into make up and hair straighteners and hair spray and curlers and highlights.  I don't feel as if this makes me less feminine.  It just makes me me.  I like playing nerdy board games with the guys or out-eating all the guys in the room.  I think the same standard should go for guys.  It makes me so sad and frustrated to listen to guy friends talk about things as "girly" as if that makes those things less than desirable.  So what if one aspect of your personality falls a bit short of gender stereotypes?  I, actually, am much more attracted to guys who like a few girly things here and there.  If you're a man's man, abrasive, only talk about cars, football, and girls, I will steer clear of you.  We probably won't even be friends.  And I'm the "masculine" girl!  What?  Dear boys, you do not always need to be "strong."  You can be weak every now and then.  You can listen to Taylor Swift, you can watch a chick flick.  You can find bugs gross, and you don't have to be able to lift ridiculous amounts of weight for you to be a man.  You can be you.  It's okay.

3.  I'll just get this out of the way, too, while I'm at it.  Guys, you don't need to treat me differently because I'm a girl.  Chivalry?  It can die as far as I'm concerned.  In fact, it sometimes hurts my feelings a bit when I'm not allowed to be an equal because of my gender.  I think you should treat everyone with love and concern.  Put everyone ahead of yourself.  Serve me as you serve your brothers.  I hope to be allowed to serve you, as well.

1 comment:

  1. my Sainted Mother taught me to treat all Woman with dignity and respect--to be kind and gentle, and if I can help it, not to be rude or crude. To open doors, to be protective if need be, to carry stuff, and to show honor. Why--because that's the way my Mother of seven sons taught me--she taught me and my brothers that Woman should be treated special, not like a man, but like a Woman.

    ReplyDelete