Monday, December 24, 2012

A Reflection on Christmas

I've never really liked Christmas.  It stresses me out - decisions to be made on what gift to buy for whom, that awkward moment when a friend for whom you had not planned to give a gift gifts you, all the decorating fuss, the lack of objectively speaking good music on the radio or in church.  It all combines to make me somewhat of a "grinch."

I often rail against the secularization of Christmas, against its pollution and the destruction of the "true meaning of Christmas."  And yet, how often do I stop to consider for myself the true meaning of Christmas?  Very rarely.

Christ become man.  The God of the universe taking on flesh.  Omnipotence becoming powerless.  A revelation of the nature of God, of the nature of power, of the nature of love.  Humility and powerlessness.  This is love.  This is God.

No comments:

Post a Comment