Monday, December 17, 2012

the problem with politicizing piety

I have been thinking a lot today about politics and politicians and their religious beliefs.  Mike Huckabee's a good example of a Christian politician who is vocal about his Chrisitianity.  Many walk this road.  Christians want Christians in office, they want America to be a Christian nation.

Here's my problem with that.


That Christianity is a Christianity of power.  


When I claim that God has been banished from our schools, our courthouses, our legislation, and our country, I put God in a tiny little box and banish him myself.  When I fight for God to be “put back” in schools, I fight for my particular perspective to be forced on the world.  That’s not the way God works. 


God sent his Son, Jesus.  Jesus served, suffered, and died.

He didn’t do anything political.  And, believe me, many wanted a political Jesus.  After all, the Romans were in charge of the Promised Land.  They needed a Messiah, and they needed their Messiah to deliver them from their political situation.

Jesus didn’t deliver on that desire.  Instead, He loved people.  

All people.

Even the Romans.

I believe that Christians are called to follow Jesus.  To follow him into a scary place where God appears powerless.  To admit defeat, but to love God boldly nevertheless.  That is what it means to follow.  To be meek and gentle.  

No comments:

Post a Comment