Tuesday, March 15, 2011

up with the birds

This morning I was up with the birds... only thing is, I hadn't gone to bed. I stayed up until 5:30 this morning watching a reality TV show...and since I don't have internet at my apartment, this all occurred on campus. I walked home and the birds were chirping. It was a lot of fun. I love staying up all night - there's something about the quiet and the knowledge that I won't see anyone or have to talk to anyone - that I can just be, that soothes my introverted nerves.

As I walked home, I was surprised by the number of people walking around campus. Some looked entirely out of it, others were quite obviously intoxicated, and others...were just there. And I walked by a couple raccoons playing in the road. It was great.

I love the simple things in life. Buying a $5 pizza from Little Caesars, bringing it to campus, eating 2/3 of it, and saving the rest in an unused garbage bag for lack of another container. Grading essays through the night if only to go to bed not feeling like a slacker.

These are the things I love. The little strange things that make each day different from the day before. The simple joy of texting a friend at 5 am, (7 am her time) knowing that she's waking up to start her day and I'm just heading home to go to bed. The joy of eating a large pizza in an office on the third floor of an academic building, just because I can. Following a drunk person home and wondering why on earth they're out at 5 am, and then realizing that I'm out at 5 am.

Raccoons don't hurt, either. Or the wind on my face, the wind that is significantly warmer than the wind of a month ago.

Spring's coming.

In other news, I got my potential lease agreement on my door this morning. Rent goes up $11 a month if I stay. Time to leave.

No comments:

Post a Comment