Wednesday, December 15, 2010

looking back

Being home has given me an interesting opportunity to look back. Somewhat like the eight months I had at home between college and grad school afforded me the chance to return to my roots to mourn, heal, and remember, so coming back home for a few weeks for Christmas is giving me the chance to recognize just how much has changed for me in the last few months.

I have been blessed with a new family in Washington, one that I couldn't imagine not going back to. Remembering them makes it much easier to know that I'm only in SD for a short time. My church family is incredible and I love them dearly. In the space of three months I have met so many new people, and been loved so unreservedly. I've been humbled time and again by the love, acceptance, and hospitality shown me by people who really don't know me at all.

God has answered huge prayers in my life this fall. Situations I thought to be beyond repair have been mended, and this is such an unexpected blessing. God has given me grace to cling to Him in a new environment, and in many ways I have grown in my faith through the experiences I have had.

It's all so new, yet - in some ways it seems as if it was just yesterday that I left, in other ways it seems as if I have lived a lifetime in Bellingham. I am so excited to see what God has for me there. Although my time there may end up to be relatively short, I also have abandoned all plans for the future and am striving to live unreservedly in the present.

There's so much to learn about God, so many ways that my faith needs growing. I am a piece of work, but God is so faithful. I am grateful to be home with family this Christmas season, and I am excited that God will continue to be with me as I return to my new home in a few weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment