Sunday, February 3, 2013

knowing God's will


Today God did not reveal Himself to me.
I told Him He could.  I waited for direction.  He did not oblige.
And I’m not surprised.
I'm not surprised because, in the final analysis, I think God wants us to serve Him.  I think He wants us to love him, to love our neighbor, and to serve Him and our neighbor with every fiber of our being.  I think He wants us to pursue justice, to love mercy, and to walk humbly with Him.  I think that is the will of God.  To pursue the heart of God, to love Him above all else, and to let that love manifest itself in service.  
Sometimes life just plain sucks.  It gets messy when we forget to serve God, when we begin serving ourselves.  Pain comes our way.  Tribulations badger us.  God tests our faith.  And we are asked through all of that to pursue wisdom.  To ask for wisdom.  To follow wisdom.  
I don’t think God tells us what to do.  I don’t think He says “go here,” or “go there.”  At least not on a daily level.  I think God wants us to learn to pursue His heart, to pursue His wisdom, to learn to know His voice through His Word.  And I think if we do that, we will find ourselves following the will of God.  Not because we turned right at the intersection, not because we knocked three times on door number six, but because we gave ourselves wholly to His service.

No comments:

Post a Comment