Tuesday, February 19, 2013

God forgive me, for I hate.

One of my biggest struggles in life is the pain of knowing someone is wrong, and knowing that nothing I do or say will change their mind.  Knowing that I have to let them choose the wrong, and knowing that they may never realize the tragedy of their error.

It's impossible for me to understand how people arrive at some of the conclusions they do.  Misinformation, brainwashing, fear.  It all washes together and creates a situation that paralyzes the strongest among us.  Leaves us fearful, hateful, and obsessive.

I want to vanquish fear in my life.  Live my life to the rhythm of love.  I am thankful for the work God has accomplished in my heart to this end so far, and I am so grateful he continues to work in me.

Perfect love drives out fear.

And for that, I am thankful.

This world is a messed up place.  I learn more of its darkness each day.  We hate each other, we tear down what we build.  We manipulate, we kill, we allow suffering as long as it's out of our sight.  We murder our brothers time and again with our hate-filled thoughts.

It's hard for me not to choose anger when confronted with the brokenness of those around me.  I want to scream and rage.  And yet, God calls me to love.  To make all of my actions motivated by love, even when those I am called to love do nothing to deserve it.

And so I lay down my arms.  I lay down my rage and my self-righteous indignation.  I stand with and up for the broken, but I love even their enemies.  Even those who hurt the people Jesus loves and died for.  I view none as beyond the love and mercy of my beautiful Savior.  To do any less is a mockery of the cross where Jesus died, taking on the wrong of the entire world that we might have life, hope, peace and joy.

God, forgive me, for I hate.

My default reaction is fury.  May I learn, rather, to react with love.  May my pacifism be filled with strength, may my love be tempered with hard honesty.  May God be glorified, even in my weakness and constant failure.

No comments:

Post a Comment