Friday, February 22, 2013

a dose of indignation and frustration


Dear Wayne Grudem,

I appreciate so many things about your book "Systematic Theology," really, I do.  You cover a lot of ground and have a creepily high knowledge of all scripture that talks about whatever subject you're discussing.  Tonight, however, you are just making me angry.  I'm reading chapter two at the moment.  Can we talk about your open and shut handling of complex issues that deserve more than a "here's two isolated verses out of context to back up my claim?"  Your book is already 1200 pages long, so it might as well be even longer.  As is, there are so many unsupported presuppositions.  So much fear-mongering.  I hope that you don't approach life like that all of the time.  I would be intimidated to know you, because, to me, God seems so much more complex than your open and shut rendering of His "Word," but I feel after reading your chapter on "The Word of God" that there's a short road to hell awaiting me if I don't fall in line on every last point.

That is all, I guess.

Marilee

P.S. It's probably for the best you'll never read this.

No comments:

Post a Comment