Wednesday, January 23, 2013

when music is useless

The music overwhelms me with its sound.  

I'm not sure what it was.  Maybe it was the long, boring day.  Maybe it was being betrayed by a work friend.  Maybe it was putting up with stressful people.  Maybe it was the encroachment of real life on my work life - both perfect, but perfect only when separate.

I really don't like this music at all.

I didn't sleep well last night. It was my fault; I knew a cold night was ahead but I stubbornly left my window open.  I don't remember my dreams, I never do.  I'm sure they were the neutral kind, the dreams that reflect a life that is neither good nor bad, a life that just is.

Perhaps skipping this song will make it better.

I know Jesus calls me to follow Him.  I feel like I am failing at following.  Mediocrity, a life that just is.  I'm paralyzed.  Always have been, maybe.  There's only so much I can do, and I don't even do that.

The music puts my nerves on edge.  I can't bring myself to skip it.  Or stop it.

Why do I keep my lives separate?  I love work, I love real life, and I very carefully compartmentalize them.  When life gets complicated, I gladly throw it all away.  I embrace new starts rather than fixing the broken.  The new quickly becomes broken as well.  And I'm left where I started.  A failure.

Finally a song that matches me.  "I don't like what I've become."

I don't know what I'm thinking.  I feel removed and alienated.  I feel entirely uprooted.  Profoundly un-belonging.  Fundamentally placeless and friendless.

I give up.  Forget it.

No comments:

Post a Comment