Thursday, April 24, 2014

for the building of a Kingdom

One time in college a friend and I drove out into the middle of the corn fields that surrounded our small college town to star gaze.  It was dark and cold and we sat on the hood of her car, looking out at the beautiful expanse.  (Then it got cold and we sat in her car.)

Her and I couldn't be more different in gifting.  She's social and proactive and outspoken, while I'm quiet and introspective and introverted.  I don't remember too much about our conversation, but I remember expressing my fear that I was doing a terrible job of following Jesus, and I remember her telling me that different people have different roles to play in the kingdom of God.  There are those who do and there are those who think, and we need both.

I spend a lot of time in passivity.  I like things to happen to me rather than to cause things to happen.  I want to be a mover and shaker but I spend so much time afraid, so much time convinced I couldn't do it even if I tried.  Part of it is laziness.  Part of it is a lack of self-confidence.  Part of it is temperament.

All of it needs to change.

God has given me gifts in academics and writing and music.  It's time to use these gifts to reach out.

No comments:

Post a Comment