Tuesday, October 15, 2013

My Incomplete and Humble Guide to Not Being a Racist

EDIT: I do continue to invite comments on this subject.  But, as it can be a very emotionally volatile issue, I do have to ask that everyone keeps this civil.  Personal attacks are not allowed.  I want this to be a safe place for people to discuss issues without being attacked.  In the future, I will be enforcing this on all of my blogs.  Comments that make negative statements about another person's character will be deleted.  Thank you.

In the weeks before moving to the heart of the American South, I remember wondering what it would be like to move to the South - if the South is really as racist as she is rumored to be.  I remember moving here and thinking in those initial weeks that maybe, just maybe, things weren't as bad as I had anticipated.  I don't know exactly whether my expectations were in reality on target, but what I do know is that I have encountered my fair share of racism in my year and a half living in Georgia.  It's not that I haven't seen racism before, it's that it's so much more consistent, abrasive, and prevalent here.

Here's the thing about racism.  I fully believe that almost no one is exempt.  Even the most with-it, progressive person holds onto stereotypes or preconceptions based on physical appearance.  We're human and it's tragically unavoidable.  I find myself confronting things I wrongly believe about people all the time.  I am not immune from what follows.  In addition, I am not an expert on racism.  I am part of a privileged group in America, and my experience and perceptions are mine alone.  I do not claim to have all of the answers or all of the right opinions on racism.  I haven't had to deal personally with the worst effects of it.

But I'm sick of supposedly well-meaning friends and acquaintances making racist remarks and getting away with it.  I'm sick of social situations in which everyone politely laughs when a racist comment is made.  I'm sick of it all.  So here is my incomplete and humble guide to not being a racist:

~~~

1) It is never okay to assume that a black person does or doesn't like things just because he or she is black.  It's probably dangerous territory to make statements that group all Asians or all blacks into a category based on their skin color.  Tread carefully.  You might be a white person who makes "white people" jokes, but it's different for you because you are privileged by your skin color while for others their skin color holds them back.  Yes, cultural differences are real.  Yes, we are not all the same.  Yes, sometimes skin color plays into that.  But the problem is that for some people, these "differences" are perceived by the dominant culture as negative.  As you live your life and as you say things, please keep this in mind.  It's so important.   "Asian" or "African American" or "Hispanic" are very broad terms.  Hispanics, for example, don't all think the same way or experience life the same way or even think about racism in the same way.  Culture is not bound by skin color.  It can be hurtful for you to assume, even if you're just joking, that it does.

2) If you find yourself prefacing a statement with "I know you're black [or Asian or Hispanic or whatever], so don't be offended at what I'm about to say..." you probably shouldn't make that statement.  In fact, PLEASE DON'T.

3) Never assume that racism is something we dealt with in the past.  Yes, slavery is over.  No, we are not altogether done with dealing with its aftermath.  The Civil Rights movement was much needed, but it wasn't all-encompassing, and it didn't erase racism.  Institutional and structural racism exists today - people are held back from achieving things simply because they are not white.  

4) If you think you're not a racist, or especially if you find yourself saying "I'm not a racist," you are very likely wrong.  Pretty much everyone struggles with racism in some form - the important part is recognizing it, becoming educated on it, and working toward a better future.

~~~

I invite discussion on any of the above.  I am certainly not immune to incorrect assumptions and opinions and want to grow in this area.  So let me know if you have a differing perspective.

9 comments:

  1. Marilee, I respect your views concerning racism in the south and I am very well aware of the fact that it exist. I especially appreciate the fact that you welcome dialogue and you seem to have a humble approach to the possibility that you are not "immune to incorrect assumptions" concerning your blog. I would like to take you up on the invite you extended and challenge you on several statements you made.
    My first challenge comes to you concerning your statement "if the south is really as racist as it is rumored to be." To which I would ask is there anyone in the north qualified to make such a distinction? For example, you stated that you believed the "rumor" before you experienced the truth. This was stated when you said that "maybe things were not as bad as I had anticipated." Racism in our mobile culture is not a north and south issue. In fact racism is prevalent in the north,south,east, west as well as all over the globe. Here in America we have divided lines in every major city in the country. Just take a look at New York City, Los Angeles, Chicago, Detroit, Baltimore and New Jersey to name a few where divided lines make up the ethnicity strong holds that keep races in their perspective communities by choice.
    Yes...By Choice! I am convinced that anyone, irregardless of color, who desires to work hard has a chance to make it in our American society. You may say that that is easy to say because I am a white male, but I am not relying upon my particular experience but I have heard the testimony of "Condoleezza Rice" whose roots go back to ancestors who were sharecroppers after emancipation. She became the first female African-American Secretary of State. she was the first woman to serve as National Security Advisor. Also, take a look at people like Alan West, Herman Cain, Alan Keys, Dr. Benjamin S. Carson (and I could name many more) who excelled as Black men and women through hard work along with a good education even in the south!
    Another observation I would make is that you seem to focus on one specific race that has indeed seen its share of inequities over the many years in America. Making the statement that "white people....are privileged by our skin color while others are held back because of their skin color" might fly in the twentieth century but today? Well, this is the century whose first decade saw a black man get elected to the highest office in the free world! This is the century that declares that we are not defined by our past but by the choices we make today. I was so proud, along with millions of other Americans that we are a country that can elect a President that is not Caucasian...yes, a black man! And I think we can elect other Americans of Asian or Hispanic heritage. You talk of being sick of racist remarks... I too am sick! I am sick and tired of people, white and black, telling people like me that somehow I owe a people I never persecuted some kind of an apology and penance for something they themselves have never experienced. That simply to me makes no sense in the day of opportunity for all people in America! The most persecuted people throughout the historical record were Jews, and they certainly have not demanded others be super-sensitive to their plight as a race and that others give them special privileges based upon their mistreated past. There comes a time where we say, let's not dwell on the past....but look to the future of America that can be bright for all races.
    (Continued....)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let me tell you how this super-sensitivity has now gotten us to the place of reverse racism. Certain colleges are promoted as a black only college funded for that purpose alone. What if we promoted a white only college? There is a celebrated black history month in academia. What if we had a white history month? How about this one, if you disagree with the policies of President Obama you are called a racist simply because you are white and he is black!
    But at the other end of the spectrum, our leaders cannot help the black population with two significant issues (black on black crime such as murder, and father absenteeism) because if you are white and point out the obvious, you are now considered to be racist. In fact, I myself might be considered to be racist by even bringing up the point of reversed racism. But the truth of the matter is, my father had many black friends and taught us by example and with no few words how important it was to treat all people, not matter their color, with dignity and respect. My best friend in high school was an African-American who buddied with me everywhere. He called my mom "Aunt Katie" and we were inseparable. That was during the days of the desegregation of the public schools in South Louisiana. So I take issue with the idea that everyone of us have some kind of prejudice inside. I personally think that some actually have been taught better than that! My dad taught the same thing that a wise black preacher proclaimed...that a man should not be judged by the color of his skin, but rather by the content of his character. I bought it, hook, line, and sinker so much that now that I am Pastor of a local church, I have specifically asked The Lord to fill this church with black,white,Asian and Hispanics so that Ignite church becomes a reflection of the kaleidoscope vision of God that makes this world so colorful and beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mike,

      Thanks for taking the time to respond. :)

      In regard to the first paragraph of my post (referring to racism in the South specifically), I apologize in that I did not write that part well and it didn't have a whole lot logically to do with the rest of the post. Racists exist everywhere; you're right. I apologize for sounding a bit like an uppity Northerner moving down here to tell people how it is. That was not my intent, but that's how it potentially reads. Maybe I pick up on racism here more than I have elsewhere because I'm more sensitive to it than I was elsewhere, I don't know.

      I entirely disagree with the idea that anyone can succeed just as easily irregardless of skin color. Of course anyone can succeed, but some people have to work a lot harder to overcome stereotypes and a system engineered intentionally and otherwise against them. For example, there are wide disparities in things like prison sentences for a like crime between a white and black man. (see http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424127887324432004578304463789858002 ) This type of systemic discrimination extends to housing and jobs and on and on. A link in regard to housing: http://www.ushrnetwork.org/resources-media/residential-segregation-housing-discrimination-united-states-cerd-shadow-report-2008

      Reverse racism is not a serious issue in my mind. White history month is not necessary white people dominate the American story and history class is largely (with of course, notable exceptions) a story of white men doing cool stuff. As a white person I am given the benefit of the doubt by society, whereas someone of another skin color would not be. So if a few things are designed to give minorities a leg up, I'm all for that.

      I have no desire to accuse you of racism, and if I do, it's only because I believe everyone to be somewhere on the continuum. Yes, I believe that some of your views do not take into account the reality of daily life for so many minorities in this country, but I do not doubt that you love everyone that you encounter; in fact, I know you do.

      Blessings,
      Marilee

      Delete
    2. Marilee, You have some good points that are now in my court to carefully consider. Thanks for the opportunity to share my view and to hear yours as well! I will get back after I read the links you posted. Keep Looking Up!

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

      Delete