Monday, July 9, 2012

church visit

I visited a church last night.  It was so terrible that when the service was over, I literally slunk out the back to avoid having to talk to anyone.

The sermon was based on the premise that America should no longer expect God's blessings on account of her sins.  Sins included abortion, alcohol/drugs, murder, sexual deviance, and homosexuality.  Much effort was made to remind the congregation that we must not be naive about the poor moral state in which our country finds herself.  Judgement is coming.

Okay, so I agree that people in America are sinful.

I don't agree that America as a nation has ever been worthy of God's blessing.  Nor do I think she ever will be.

Furthermore, I do not agree that the church should set herself apart from these "sinners," and claim that our prayers are solely that crime will become less and that abortions will cease.  Jesus ate with tax collectors and sinners.  We are to love the unloved and we are to preach justice for the afflicted.

The sins of this nation come when we fail  to love and care for the afflicted, not when we self-righteously set ourselves apart from them in outward conduct.

When a church's pulpit becomes a platform for the pastor's self-righteous personal political opinions, I wish to have nothing to do with that church.

I won't be going back to this particular church.  In fact, you'd have to drag me kicking and screaming.

No comments:

Post a Comment