Friday, June 8, 2012

melancholy

Tonight I am a little sad.  It's a strange sad, because it's mixed with eagerness, anticipation, and excitement.  But I'm sad, because I'm leaving a beautiful city and beautiful people who have become my good friends, my home away from home.

Tonight at a friend's house overlooking the bay at dusk, I was struck by the thought that that may be the last time I see Bellingham Bay.  The end is so near now...and I haven't really processed it at all yet.  I've been so busy with the day to day...right up until this afternoon, when it finally all ground to a halt.

For the past few days I have been semi-secretly, semi-not-so-secretly plotting to try to leave on Friday rather than Saturday.  Due to circumstances w/ my job at school that are beyond my control, I will not be able to leave until Saturday.  Part of me wants to be bummed.  I miss my family in SD, and my sister's getting married in under a week.  But I can't be too sad.  In fact, I really can't be sad at all.  I get one last afternoon, obligation free, in the city that has captured my heart in a way that no place has before.

It's supposed to rain all day tomorrow.  I don't even care.  I'm going to soak it all in, whether that be sitting in the 5th floor of the school library reading a book or strolling by the water's edge.

Bring it on Bellingham.  I'm going to enjoy my one day of "summer" in Bellingham to its fullest.

No comments:

Post a Comment