Wednesday, June 20, 2012

homesick

I have arrived in my new home.  Well, sort of.  I'm in a hotel for the next two nights and moving into my apartment on Friday night.

I'm trying to be happy about being here.  And in many ways I am.  Georgia is pretty (although it has nothing on Washington), and I think I will enjoy my job as much as one can enjoy employment.  The culture has been fascinating so far.

But this isn't like when I moved to Washington.  I moved to WA without looking back.  I was so excited to be there, and I loved every second of it.  It was so beautiful there, and I remember walking around with mouth agape.

This city is rundown and spread out.  It is flat, and it is humid.  And it doesn't have Starbucks.  No university, and a city library with the most pitiful "social sciences" row you've ever seen.

Don't get me wrong.  I'm excited for the adventure, and I'm happy to be here.  But I'm a bit homesick for Bellingham.

A lot homesick.

No comments:

Post a Comment