Monday, February 6, 2012

guilt by association

I'm so incredibly disheartened to say this, but when I run into racism, it is often coming from Christians.  I've been thinking a lot about this recently, and so when I ran across this blog post, I found it timely.  Most of the time when I run across it, it is seemingly harmless or unintentional, or may (like I would argue in the case of the film Courageous) be an attempt to avoid racism that ends up raising more questions than it answers.  But all the time it breaks my heart.  

What does one do when someone who "means well" says something offensive?  Is it okay for me to let it slide as long as I don't succumb to the same thought patterns?  My silence speaks volumes, though; my silence is my tacit agreement.  

Christianity politicized; Christianity filled with anger, hate, and prejudice; Christianity afraid of truth: these are all things that I encounter on a regular basis - things that shake me to my core and that leave me wondering where to turn and what to do.  Do I pull a 1 Corinthians 5:11?  I would hope not.  

And yet, I cannot remain silent.

No comments:

Post a Comment