Friday, November 18, 2011

my absolutes #1

So I thought I'd start a parallel but unrelated thread to the universal reconciliation thread, because I don't have the time or energy to continue with that thread for at least a while, and this sounds more fruitful at the moment.

I have quite recently been convicted of my need to decide what it is that I do, at core, believe, and put that in writing.  So much is up in the air for me right now theologically, and I guess I, perhaps a little like CS Lewis and Mere Christianity want to affirm what I do believe.  And more than that, I want to live like I believe it.  So often theology becomes this academic exercise of mine that does not always impact my day to day life.  But what is faith if not hopelessly interconnected with action?  Meaningless (James 2).

So, here I go.

My first absolute (based on Psalm 19):

God, the God revealed to us through the Bible, is perfect, holy, and trustworthy.  This God reveals himself through creation, a creation that constantly bears witness to God's goodness.  Humanity fails, but God never fails.  He is our Rock.  In his holiness, perfection and trustworthiness, God is entirely unwavering.  It is good to fear this God.  God also reveals himself through his law, which is a perfect reflection of the nature of God himself.  This law is life giving.  It can be trusted; it makes us wise.  God's law fills us with joy and helps us to see our way through this life.  We are hopelessly flawed, and yet by looking to the law, we find hope and direction.

No comments:

Post a Comment