Tuesday, July 5, 2011

good in every sense

I remember distinctly a moment early in my college career when I realized that life was inherently painful. I remember feeling so hopeless, so misunderstood. I remember realizing that life was inherently lonely, inherently painful.

College lived up to those expectations. Sure, there were great moments, and I loved college and the friends I made there. But college was emotionally costly for me in fundamental ways. I suppose I grew up there...

I left college jaded, thinking the best, most joyful moments of life were behind me - maybe hidden somewhere in childhood or freshman year.

Moving to Washington changed everything for me. Although it hasn't always been perfect, my time here has been the most consistently happy time that I can recall in my entire life. Sure, emotions change as always...and yet, I love it here in every sense of the word. God has blessed me so abundantly; He has given me so much. I do miss home and the people there, but I wouldn't trade this place and these people for the world.

Tonight I spent Independence Day in one of the most beautiful places I've seen here so far: Sandy Point. The house we visited was built on a sand spit with a beautiful view of Orcas Island. As the sun set over the Puget Sound, the neighborhood came alive with huge fireworks displays. I have never in my life experienced anything like it. It seemed like everywhere I looked the sky was exploding with color.

I was so speechless. I am not usually a big fireworks fan. They are usually kinda boring for me, or at least overrated. It seems like such a waste of time and money... and yet, tonight I have decided to take that back. They're not so bad after all.

I'm so blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment