Sunday, June 9, 2013

Dear Church, Sincerely, Me. [the post about modesty that i really, really, REALLY didn't want to have to write.]

It's a story one too many times told.

***

She was young, so young.  Just becoming a young woman.  She had always struggled with seeing herself as she really was - beautiful inside and out and desperately loved by God.

It began as it always does: a church service project and a dress code.  Don't wear this, that, or the other thing - it might cause the boys to stumble.  We're here to serve Jesus; keep the focus on Him and not you.

And then she transgressed.  Her shorts were just above the invisible line of modest dress, and this would simply not do.  There's a rule in place, and so it was easy for the older woman who took her aside to simply follow the rules.  "Honey, your shorts are not modest.  You need to be more careful in what you wear."

Years have passed, but the scars linger.  She still talks about that day.

"They told me I wasn't being modest."

***

I spent years as a camp counselor at a Christian summer camp.  The "rules of modesty" were drummed into our heads:

1) No spaghetti straps or shirts with sleeves less than two fingers in width.
2) No cleavage.
3) No two piece swimsuits.
4) No stomach showing with hands raised
5) No short shorts (defined by longer than the second knuckle when hands are by sides).
6) No bra straps.
7) No writing on the back of your shorts.

I remember having to enforce these rules.  I remember feeling the awkwardness of it all but feeling justified in my policing.  After all, I was just following the rules.

God forgive me.

***

She came to me, understandably disturbed, and told me she had been tasked with telling another girl to dress more modestly.  Her skirts were too short.  This wasn't acceptable when engaged in ministry.  We talked about it at length, but there is no easy escape from the rules.  She had the conversation.

***

Dear Church,

I need to talk to you about something increasingly close to my heart.  I need to talk to you about modesty.  And I need you to listen, to truly listen.  

When we teach our daughters that modesty is about how one dresses, and when we then lay out specific rules about what is and isn't modest, and when we imply that dressing outside these bounds is sinful because it causes our brothers to stumble or sets a bad example or whatever, we are wrong.  Straight up, no if's, and's, or but's wrong.  

When we teach our daughters this, we teach our sons that it's acceptable to view a woman as an object of lust.  She's beautiful, but she shouldn't make her curves so obvious.  If only she'd hide herself a bit more fully, then she'd be a better Christian, a more worthy object of our affections.  Has she no shame? (God, forgive us for shaming our sisters and our daughters.)

I am entirely convinced that modesty is an attitude of the heart.  We have made it, however, into something else entirely.  We have made it a list of rules that defines the women in our midst as good or bad, turning women into little more than the object of men's desires.  What if we taught our daughters to value themselves as beloved by God?  What if we taught them that modesty isn't a list of do's and don't's, but a matter of living a life that points to Jesus in all things?

When you tell her she shouldn't wear such a short dress or low-cut shirt, and she has never once dressed with the intention of being an object of attention, you shame her.  You communicate to her that she is nothing but an object of lust, simply by virtue of who she is.  That she keeps men, by her very presence, from seeing Jesus.  May I be so bold as to suggest that maybe, just maybe, the problem lies in your heart rather than hers?

Here's the thing.  Every single woman who I know who has been shamed in this way is a beautiful woman of God inside and out.  These women embody modesty and humility and a servant's heart.  They are not immodest.  I repeat.  They are not immodest.

Men, I can't help your wandering, lustful eyes.  Women, I can't help your jealous eyes, I can't help your personal insecurities.  That my modesty (or lack thereof) would be judged by either of you is deeply offensive to me.

You know, the Bible says almost nothing in the way of lists of what not to wear or what to wear.  What it does talk about is the idea that what we wear should be a reflection of humility and submission to one another and to God.  And so I ask you this: Why are we playing modesty police all the time?  I suggest, as gently as is possible given my very real indignation on this topic, that the Church must reconsider the rules that we have created - these rules that lead to shame and guilt, these rules that teach women that every moment of every day they must be careful lest men lust after their bodies, these rules that teach women that their value is tied to their outward appearance.  We are so much better than that, my beloved Church.  So much better.

I have a request, Church, a plea for a reconsideration of everything we've preached and advocated for far too long, now.  Please stop creating rules intended to shame women.  Please stop viewing women as objects of sexual desire and our supposed immodesty as an affront to the God who made us.  Teach the Church to value modesty in a positive way.  Empower women to find our identity and value in Christ, not the approval of men.  Allow us to love our bodies as God intended, not hide them from a sense of shame and fear.

And, for the love of all that is good and holy, consider the heart of the "law" to which you so tightly cling.

Your sister,
Marilee

4 comments:

  1. This was beautiful.
    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the heart-felt passion of your posting. However, I do have some objections.
    There is not one scripture reference provided – We need to rely on the knowledge and insight that God provides for us in living this life – personal opinion outside the Word of God is a dangerous place for us to be – all of us. Public attack of the body of believers? Don't agree.
    Out of love, and with a sincere heart, let me expound. I have a beautiful little girl. She has started the transition from a little girl into a beautiful young lady. She loves the Lord and is truly modest in heart. She does not understand modesty and discretion naturally and MUST receive guidance from those who love her. There has been more than one occasion when as a parent I had to TEACH her about dressing modestly and with discretion. There is no judgment – no anger – no looking with lustful eyes – just a simple rule of decency and appropriateness.

    So how is it that I should go about teaching my daughter what is appropriate. Why is wearing a swimming suit at a pool party appropriate but wearing only a bra and panties inappropriate? How in the world do we go about teaching our children and each other about appropriate wear?
    I propose that we start with scripture. You mentioned that “You know, the Bible says almost nothing in the way of lists of what not to wear or what to wear” – Granted – the Bible does not provide a specific “dress code” – it does not tell us how far above the knee a skirt can be or how much cleavage should be exposed or whether “spaghetti straps” are appropriate or not. But it does give guidelines.
    Here is my favorite by far –
    Proverbs 11:22
    Like a gold ring in a pig’s snout is a beautiful woman without discretion.
    And another is 1 Timothy 2:9-10 likewise also that women should adorn themselves in respectable apparel, with modesty and self-control, not with braided hair and gold or pearls or costly attire, but with what is proper for women who profess godliness—with good works.
    Or How about Titus Chapter 2 – Older women ...They are to teach what is good, and so train the young women to love their husbands and children, to be self-controlled, pure,...
    How then do we define discretion – modesty – self-control? I look to Older women – like my grandmother. 94 years old – much life experience. She would not hesitate to speak truth into the life of a young lady in this area. It would not stop at how she presented herself in clothing but also in body language, posture, interactions, speech – In short, she would teach discretion.

    With that said – I truly believe that you meant well. Maybe you were coming to the defense of a friend, maybe you have hurt feelings in the past with this issue – I am not sure of the root of the heart of it but it is obviously something you care about.
    My simple request – follow the guidance of scripture – follow the guidance of seasoned, experienced, Godly women. Teach discretion to our young ladies. Not only is it scripturally sound, it protects them, and keeps them from all kinds of problems. Teaching discretion is a good thing not a bad thing.
    With a sincere, and profound love for the church body and my brothers and sisters in Christ,
    Pastor Mark

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pastor Mark,

      First off, thank you for reading and for commenting. I truly believe that it is through discussion about important topics like this that we grow and mature in our views on God and faith and life in general.

      When I wrote this post, I struggled with whether or not to include Scripture references. I chose not to, although I certainly did look to the Bible to see what it had to say about modesty/purity. I believe the Bible (specifically the verses you quoted as well as 1 Peter 3) talks about modesty in positive terms: "this is what you should do" rather than "this is what you shouldn't do." Furthermore, I do not think that the Bible EVER advocates shaming. I believe that far too often women are shamed and objectified through the perhaps well-meant actions of church leaders. I will not back down on this point, because I know different women from different churches throughout my life who have come to me with very real stories on this matter. Nowhere in Scripture are specific rules laid out for what is and isn't modest. That is a culturally and individually bound thing. My own ideas of what is and isn't modest have changed as I have lived life. Go to other cultures around the world and you will find very different standards of modesty.

      I want you to know that I sincerely did not intend for this to be read as a "public attack of the body of believers." However, I did intend for this to be public, and I did intend for this to call out the Church for the ways in which I whole-heartedly believe it has erred. I struggled quite a bit with making sure that this came from a place of love, because I am of the firm opinion that anything that comes from a place other than love is not worth saying. That said, I knew when I posted this that it would create controversy. And I'm, quite frankly, okay with that, because if no one says it, change will never come.

      Absolutely, let's teach our daughters discretion. Let's teach them to value themselves as God values them. Let's teach them the importance of guarding their hearts, and let's teach them how their bodies and how they present themselves are a very real reflection of how they view themselves as daughters of the King. But let's also make sure they know full well that they are not responsible for how other people may view them or, God forbid, use them. They are not at fault for the lusts of others, and their value as daughters of the King and as people in general is not bound up in how men respond to them.

      My heart breaks for women who believe that they are somehow at fault for injustice that happens to them. My heart breaks for women who believe that their bodies are sources of shame. My heart breaks for women who dress in such a way as to attract attention because they have been taught to believe that their appearance defines their value.

      That's why I wrote this post.

      In Christ,
      Marilee

      Delete
    2. Marilee,
      After much prayer and a few days of considering how the enemy would use a private conversation with someone who is much loved, very beautiful and greatly respected , to possibly cause disunity... Since I caused the offense, I personally feel the responsibility of addressing this post at least one time. So I offer the deeper truth (not my own) that many, for whatever reason (i. e. past church, camp and church leadership experiences), fail to get. But my hope is that you will take the time to learn the deeper truth that explains the shame and helps us ALL to understand the offense without causing needless finger pointing. We ALL are guilty and can only fall on the mercy of God. I too will find myself before Pastor Mark, for a future issue that I will need to be schooled in as well as redeemed from! He will offer possible words of rebuke, insight, even encouragement and possibly all three! I may "feel" all kinds of emotions as a result... But we ALL need to stay teachable with humility. I need to say nothing more than to ask that the following be read in its entirety. This is the "deeper truth" that I hope you will carefully consider.

      http://www.desiringgod.org/resource-library/taste-see-articles/the-rebellion-of-nudity-and-the-meaning-of-clothing

      Psalm 32:8
      Pastor mike

      Delete