Wednesday, August 22, 2012

moving on

Two months ago, I moved.  But I still haven't moved on.

I miss Bellingham so much it hurts.  I realized, though, that I need to learn to manage my "homesickness," if only for my sanity.  There's no feasible way I will be moving back to the Pacific Northwest any time soon, and it's quite possible I'll never leave the South.  So it's time to learn to make this home.

I very quickly loved my friends here - that's not the problem.  The problem has been adjusting to the culture more generally, and most of all, adjusting to the lack of mountains.  I miss mountains way too much.  I'm not sure why it is that I fell so hard for mountains, but I don't know what to do with flat terrain.

In any case, it's time to move on.  Bellingham was beautiful, the people were beautiful, the culture was beautiful.  My year and nine months there was a time I will treasure forever.  But it's over, and dwelling on what I have lost is not helping me here and now.

And so I resolve to do my best to once appreciate the little things in life, even if there are no big things like mountains to make it easy to love my new home.

No comments:

Post a Comment