Saturday, April 14, 2012

There's little worse than not being taken seriously.  Sometimes it feels like it is doubly hard for me to be taken seriously, although for different reasons in different contexts.  Most of the time it's just me feeling inferior or out of place.

This weekend was such a good example of that.  I was staying in a ridiculously nice hotel where I felt constantly under-dressed.  I don't really have the correct professional clothing, I don't possess the cultural skills that are necessary to thrive in the nicest hotel in the city.  I am constantly reminded of my farmer girl status.  I love that part of me, but sometimes it makes it hard to cope with the "big city" or "high society."

I also feel inferior because of my relationship status.  Sometimes it stinks to be the "single college student."  I'm stuck in "kid" mode.  People view me like a grown up kid, sometimes.  It is only exacerbated by the fact that I don't really date all that much.  (technically speaking, not really at all)  I constantly feel this wide gulf of experience and outlook that separates me from those around me.

But I wouldn't change it for the world.  I love being a simple farm girl from South Dakota who is almost 25 and has never been in a serious relationship.  It's who I am, and the world can just deal with it.  I'm naive and inexperienced, and I don't quite fit in in the "big city" yet.  But I'm an adult, and I only wished to be given the opportunity to be seen as an equal.

No comments:

Post a Comment